Have you always wanted to visit Italy? Take your tastebuds on a trip without leaving Tampa Bay when you visit Mazzaro's Italian Market in St. Pete. From rich pasta dishes to savory cheeses and full bodied wines – what’s not to love about Italian food? If you’re a foodie couple craving the best of what Italian food has to offer, then make Mazzaro’s your next date day destination. This Italian emporium has everything you need whether you want to order prepared food and picnic on the terrace or bring a taste of Italy home to your own kitchen.
Read on for everything you need to know for enjoying a day at Mazzaro’s Italian Market in St. Pete.
What to do
Mazzaro’s is more than a one of a kind Italian gourmet market; it’s a beloved culinary destination. This Italian supermarket is split into different areas, each equipped with oodles of fresh-made and prepared Italian goodies.
The best place to start is at the espresso counter for a coffee beverage to have in hand while you peruse the shelves. Grab a ticket at the bakery for a delicious pastry made in house to go with your coffee. If you're visiting earlier in the morning, this is the perfect Italian breakfast.
Once you’ve had a snack, the wine and cheese den will have you dreaming up the perfect pairing. If you’re shopping for an Italian meal you plan on making, bring home quality meats, fresh produce, special spices and dry goods from the wide selection throughout the store.
The best part is you can bring anything you buy onto the terrace to eat or drink – including wine! Prepared sandwiches, salads, and gelato are available as well.
This specialty market has fresh goodies and unique items you can’t get anywhere else. Here are a few of our favorite finds:
- At the bakery, make sure you pick up fresh baked focaccia or a rosemary loaf and handmade pistachio cannolis. Or, cool down on a hot summer day with some classic Italian gelato.
- Mozzarella is available in the wine and cheese area but supplies are limited since its made fresh everyday. The cheese room has its own dedicated Facebook page for serious cheese aficionados.
- Grab ingredients for a pasta dinner from the pasta section where you'll find fresh handmade pasta to take home.
- Venture over to the sliced meats and pick up a hot soppressata or prosciutto sliced to your liking.
- Don’t forget a bottle of Paesano extra virgin olive oil!
Tip: Check Mazzaro's Facebook page the morning of your visit to see the specials of the day.
Picnic on the Terrace
If you’re looking to have lunch on the market terrace, head on over to the prepared foods area for a sandwich, all of which are made on Mazzaro’s own wood-fired bread. The housemade spicy sausage and peppers sub or the hot Italian sub are some of the best the lunch menu has to offer. The Italian Orzo or Hearts of palm salad are also favorites.
The market terrace is located outdoors in the back. Sit and stay awhile while you enjoy your lunch and then head home to continue your Italian date day.
Mazzaro's italian Market
2909 22nd Ave N, St. Petersburg
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: 9am – 2:30pm
Online ordering for curbside pickup is also available for select items.