Well, friends, if you haven’t heard by now then you have a lot to catch up on – Tampa, along with most of Florida has started Phase 1 of it’s reopening on Monday, May 4th! This means that retail stores and restaurants are allowed to open limiting guests and adhering to social distancing guidelines. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, right?! With that in mind, we’re going to share all of the Mexican Restaurants affected by a brand NEW plan to boost business… but first, here are more details.
Starting Tuesday, May 5, the “Lift Up Local Economic Recovery Plan” will be enacted. This means that certain roads in Tampa will close to vehicular traffic for local-businesses to expand into the streets and boost business without the concern of traffic. The closures will be in place 24-hours a day for the next two weeks! With the exception of Howard Ave. which will be closed 5 pm to midnight. Here’s the proposed plan:
- Downtown (E Twiggs St from N Tampa St to N Franklin St and N Franklin St from E Madison St to E Polk St) – 24/7
- Hyde Park (S Dakota Ave/W Snow Ave from W Swann Ave to S Rome Ave) – 24/7
- SOHO-Howard – (S Howard Ave from W Morrison Ave to W Bristol Ave) – 5 p.m. to Midnight
- Tampa Heights (N Franklin St from E Kay St to E Palm Ave) – 24/7
- West River (W Grand Central Ave from W Kennedy Blvd to S Hyde Park Ave) – TBD
- Ybor (E 7th Ave from N 15th St to N 19th St) – 24/7
In honor of Cinco de Mayo get out and celebrate TONIGHT at one of these local Mexican Restaurants within the Lift Up Local Economic Recovery Plan
*visit each locations website for current hours and specials.
- Urban Cantina: Located downtown on E Madison Street, Urban Cantina is a local favorite serving up delicious Mexican style cuisine! For a limited time, when you place an order with Urban Cantina and spend $50, you get %15 off of Margaritas with Discount Code: MARGARITA. So, come out for Cinco de Mayo and Taco Tuesday, support your local business and enjoy a delicious Margarita – You deserve it!
- Taco Holic: If you’re looking for another Downtown Mexican spot, check out Taco Holic. This spot is a food truck located on N. Florida Avenue between Twiggs and Madison. Here you can find delicious favorites such as Quesadillas, Crunchy Tacos, Bowls, Burritos, Fries, and so much more! Plus, you can feel good about their prices! Check it out and order the tacos – they’re less than $2 a piece! Call 813-424-0228 for pick-up.
- BarTaco: This popular Hyde Park spot offers a flare on Mexican style cuisine serving up…you guessed it, tacos! They have a pretty robust menu with unique pairings, rotating items, fresh ingredients, and a consistent goal for deliciousness! Not to mention, their guacamole and margaritas are to die for so if you’re just on a stroll and want to pop over for a quick quac and marg moment – don’t wait!
- Green Lemon: Another Tampa staple for all things Mexican food is Green Lemon. Located on S. Howard right next to another Tampa Staple, Daily Eats, Green Lemon is a delicious choice with dips, bowls, tacos, burritos, and HUGE margaritas! Plus, if you want to pop-in, they are offering to-go rita’s too. Say no more right? Plus, with everything going on right now, if you order online, first-timers get 10% off their order with promo code FirstTime! What other information do you need? Celebrate Taco Tuesday and Cinco de Mayo at good ole’ Green Lemon! You certainly won’t regret it. Check out their temporary Cinco de Mayo Menu!
- Xilo Mexican: Located on N. Franklin Street in the Hall on Franklin is Xilo Mexican. This great spot is for the street-foodie enthusiasts. Xilo offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner with delicious menu items that will draw you in from all across the bay. Not to mention their tacos – pork belly pastor, rib eye chimichurri, fish tempura, adobo chicken, and more! Plus, if you have a larger group, consider their Taco Platter which includes 6 Tacos and a loaded side of rice and beans – Yum! Their physical location is currently closed, however they are still offering to-go orders through their website, order up!
- At this time there are no Mexican style restaurants within this area – However, that doesn’t mean you can’t support locals! Head over to another local area with Mexican hot spots or consider grabbing take-out from at a non-Mexican establishment such as Oxford Exchange (Opening for reservations May 6th)! It’s the thought that counts, right?
- Jimmy’s Tacos: Head over to Jimmy’s Tacos for all of your Cinco de Mayo and Taco Tuesday needs! Here you can enjoy tapas, entrees (tacos, burritos, tortas, quesadillas, and more), Gringas (burgers and such), and more! This is a great call ahead, pick up your order, and if allowed, take a seat outside – enjoy the fresh air and feel good about where your money’s going!
- Tequilas: Tequilas is a popular spot on E 7th Avenue in the heart of Ybor. At Tequilas enjoy $3 Sangria, $9.95 all you can eat steak and chicken fajitas and more! And, when you support Tequilas, you support Berninis of Ybor and Carne Chophouse – Both local hot spots all a part of the same foodie family. Throughout May enjoy Quesadillas, Nachos, Tacos, Empanadas, Light Bites, and all of the beer your heart can take! Ole!
Where will you be celebrating Cinco de Mayo this year? If you visit one of these delicious options, let us know!